Manufacturer: Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Generic Name: Orlistat
|Strength||Per Unit Price||Price|
|120MG (30 PILLS)||$1.99||$59.7|
|120MG (60 PILLS)||$1.52||$119 $91.2
you save $27.80
|120MG (90 PILLS)||$1.38||$179 $124.2
you save $54.80
|120MG (120 PILLS)||$1.33||$239 $160.8
you save $78.20
|120MG (180 PILLS)||$1.28||$358 $230.4
you save $127.60
|120MG (270 PILLS)||$1.25||$537 $337.5
you save $199.50
|120MG (330 PILLS)||$1.22||$657 $402.6
you save $254.40
|120MG (420 PILLS)||$1.18||$836 $495.6
you save $340.40
|120MG (510 PILLS)||$1.08||$1015 $550.8
you save $464.20
THERAPEUTIC USES.: -
It is a prescribed drug and is sold over-the-counter which is usually given to treat patients having BMI>30Kg/m2. If an individual’s BMI falls in accordance with this calculated value, then he /she shall be considered as Obese. This medicine aids the patients in losing weight and associated medical problems. It belongs to a class of drugs known as Lipase inhibitors. It is available in the market by the brand name Xenical
What ailments Orlistat help treat?
• To treat overweight individual
• Aids in regaining the lost weight
What are the side-effects?
• Greasy stools
• may cause oily spotting on your undergarments
• Difficulty in controlling bowel movements
• Brown colour oil in the faeces
• Increased number of bowel
• Abdominal pain
• Excess Flatulence
• Gas discharge
Dosage of Medication
• This drug is meant to be taken either orally by mouth. It is available in the form of a capsule.
• The capsule form comes in the dosage of 60mg and 120mg respectively
• The drug is indicated in the patients with pre-treatment BMI>30Kg/m2 or BMI>27Kg/m2 along with associated risk factors like Hypertension, Diabetes or hyperlipidaemia.
• The recommended dosage is 120mg PO / 8 hourly with a fat-containing meal. However, the dosage of >120 mg three times a day adds no additional beneficial effect.
• As an Over-the-counter (OTC) drug, it is dispensed in the strength of 60mg PO q8hr along with the fat-containing meal.
• This medicine acts as an adjunct therapy to diet restriction, physical activity and lifestyle and behavioural modifications.
• For full therapeutic benefit, divide the meals comprising of carbohydrates, fats and protein divided equally into three small meals.
• In case you miss a meal with fat or contains zero fat then do not ingest the dosage
• The absolute indication for this drug is that the patient should be on nutritionally balanced, hypo calorie diet that must contain approx. 30% of calorie source from fats.
Warnings & Precautions
• The drug is contraindicated if you are hypersensitive to Orlistat or any of its derivative.
• The drug is an absolutely contraindicated in conditions like Pregnancy, chronic malabsorption syndrome and cholestasis.
• In case you miss or skip your meal, the dose should also be skipped.
• Along with this drug, multivitamin supplements are also recommended.
• The recommended daily fat intake is approximately 30%.
• Be cautious while taking this medicine as substantial weight loss may elevate the risk of cholelithiasis.
• Do not take the drug in case you have Anorexia Nervosa.
• In case you have a thyroid problem, exclude these organic causes before taking this prescribed therapy
How does it help in the treatment?
This drug works by inhibiting gastric and pancreatic lipase enzymes. These enzymes aid in the breakdown of the triglycerides in the intestines. When the activity of the lipase enzyme is blocked, a component of lipid called triglyceride is not absorbed and hydrolysed into free fatty acids, and they are excreted in the unchanged form. This causes slow and decreased absorption of dietary fats. It has a protein binding capacity of 99% and 95% is excreted in faeces.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The knowledge provided is meant to raise an understanding of knowledge regarding wellbeing and does not recommend medication or evaluation. Such material is not a substitution for clinical medical treatment and can not be taken as suggesting or advising that it is healthy, acceptable or efficient for you to take the medication. Consult a health care provider and specialist for psychological therapy and diagnosis.