Manufacturer: Intas Pharma
Generic Name: Topiramate
|Strength||Per Unit Price||Price|
|200mg (30 Tablet)||$1.23||$37.5|
|200mg (60 Tablet)||$0.90||$74 $54
you save $20.00
|200mg (90 Tablet)||$0.80||$111 $72.9
you save $38.10
|200mg (120 Tablet)||$0.73||$148 $87.6
you save $60.40
|200mg (180 Tablet)||$0.71||$221 $127.8
you save $93.20
|200mg (240 Tablet)||$0.69||$295 $165.6
you save $129.40
|200mg (300 Tablet)||$0.67||$369 $201
you save $168.00
|200mg (360 Tablet)||$0.65||$443 $234
you save $209.00
|200mg (420 Tablet)||$0.63||$517 $264.6
you save $252.40
|200mg (480 Tablet)||$0.61||$590 $292.8
you save $297.20
|200mg (540 Tablet)||$0.60||$664 $324
you save $340.00
It is a prescribed drug used to relieve the symptoms of a certain type of seizures in population afflicted with epilepsy. It belongs to the class of drugs known as Anticonvulsants. It is available in the market with the brand name Qudexy, Topamax or Trokendi
Which ailments does Topiramate help treat?
• Complex partial seizures
• Grand Mal tonic-clonic seizures
• Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
• Prevent migraine
• Aids in relieving alcohol dependence
What are the side effects?
Some of the common side effects include-
• Numbness, burning, or tingling sensation in the limbs
• Chest pain
• Abnormal shaking of a part of the body
• Uncontrolled eyeball movements
• Blurry vision
• Redness of eyes
• Weight loss
• The metallic taste of the food
• Teary or dry eyes
• Pain in back, muscles or limbs
• Missed menstrual cycle
• Heavy menstrual bleeding
• Trouble urinating
• Delayed developmental growth
Dosage of Medication
• Topiramate is meant to be taken orally. It comes in the form of a tablet, a sprinkle capsule (contains small beads of medication that can be sprinkled on food), and as an extended-release (long-acting) capsule to be taken by mouth.
• The regular tablets and sprinkle capsules are usually taken with or without meals one or two times a day
• The extended-release capsules are prescribed once daily with or without meals
• In order to maintain the regularity of the medication, intake does take it around the same time twice daily.
• Follow the directions written on the prescription label very carefully. In case of queries do ask your doctor or pharmacist.
• Intake the drug exactly as per the directions. Do not overdose.
• Swallow the long-acting tablets as a whole. Do not break, chew or crush.
• The extended-release capsules are meant to be taken by opening it and extracting out the beads present inside it. Sprinkle the beads over your food item. Do not crush or chew the capsule and its beads.
• Be assured that your pharmacist has dispensed the correct medication as prescribed by your doctor since there are other medications which are available with the name similar to the brand name of this drug.
• These tablets have a bitter taste, therefore, it is advised to swallow them as a whole.
Warnings & Precautions
• Do inform your doctor in case you are allergic or on any anti-allergic medication. Ask your pharmacist to check into medication ingredients guide before dispensing the drug.
• Do inform your doctor clearly regarding the past medical history and the list of medications you are taking.
• Do not ingest the capsules that are discoloured.
• Do inform your doctor in case you have vision disease, kidney disease or liver disorder. Drink a lot of water to avoid stone formation as this drug prevent you from sweating and disrupt the water balance in the body.
• Topiramate is supposed to decrease the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptive, therefore, use another form of contraceptive while you are taking this drug.
• In the case of pregnancy, inform your doctor as use of Topiramate during pregnancy may hamper the health of the fetus
• Avoid breastfeeding if you are on Topiramate
• In case of tooth extraction or any other surgery, inform your dentist or doctor regarding this drug intake
• Do not drive any vehicle or operate any machine immediately after taking this drug as it causes drowsiness
• Do not intake alcohol while you are taking this drug
• You may experience mood swings along with changes in your mental health while you are on this drug regime.
• In case you’re losing weight abruptly, report to your doctor immediately.
• In case you missed your scheduled dose, skip that dose but do not ingest double dose.
How does it help in the treatment?
The mechanism of action of Topiramate includes reducing the abnormal electrical activity in the brain.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The knowledge provided is meant to raise an understanding of knowledge regarding wellbeing and does not recommend medication or evaluation. Such material is not a substitution for clinical medical treatment and can not be taken as suggesting or advising that it is healthy, acceptable or efficient for you to take the medication. Consult a health care provider and specialist for psychological therapy and diagnosis.