Manufacturer: Intas Pharma
Generic Name: Cinacalcet
|Strength||Per Unit Price||Price|
|30mg (30 Tablet)||$5.00||$150|
|30mg (60 Tablet)||$3.95||$300 $237.17
you save $62.83
|30mg (90 Tablet)||$3.50||$450 $315
you save $135.00
|Strength||Per Unit Price||Price|
|60mg (30 Tablet)||$9.27||$278.57|
|60mg (60 Tablet)||$6.65||$556 $399
you save $157.00
|60mg (90 Tablet)||$5.46||$834 $491.42
you save $342.58
It is a prescribed drug used to treat hyperactive parathyroid hormone in the patients afflicted to renal impairment, or on dialysis. It is a kind of calcimimetic medication. It acts via allosteric activation of the calcium-sensing receptor in various tissues of human organs. It is available under the trade name Sensipar in the market.
Which ailments cinacalcet help treat?
• Parathyroid carcinoma
• Renal impairment
• Hepatic impairment
What are the side-effects?
Some of the common side-effects include-
• Loose Motions
• Chest pain
• Bone disease
• Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Dosage of Medication
• It is available in the form of a tablet with the dosage strength of 30mg, 60 mg and 90mg respectively meant to be taken orally via the mouth
• The drug is indicated to be taken in case of severe hypocalcaemia who are not the right candidate for parathyroidectomy.
• The initial dosage is 30mg PO q 12 hr. Your doctor may increase your dose if needed at 2-4 week interval.
• In case of chronic kidney disease along with overactive parathyroid, this drug is prescribed with an initial dosage of 30mg PO q/day. If the need arises, the subsequent doses can be increased from 60, 90, 120 to 180mg/day
• In case of hypercalcemia along with parathyroid carcinoma initial dose of 30mg PO 12 hourly is prescribed. Subsequent doses include 60 and 90mg to normalise levels of serum calcium.
• In case of renal problem, dose alteration is not mandatory
• Monitoring of Parathyroid hormone levels is of utmost significance in the case of hepatic dysfunction
• Check serum calcium levels every 2 months
Warnings & Precautions
• The drug is contraindicated in cases of hypersensitivity and severe hypocalcaemia
• In case you have a past history of neurologic deficit such as seizures, you are not the right candidate for this drug
• In case you have CKD (chronic kidney disease), this drug is not recommended
• Tapering of drug dose is generally done in patients who are exposed to moderate to severe levels of liver function impairment
• Patients are advised to give the complete past medical history of cardiac problem, kidney dysfunction and hepatic impairment since this drug interferes with these conditions.
• Alteration or missed calcium dosage may cause severe adverse outcomes such as tetany, hypocalcemia and parasthesia. Therefore, it is advised to take this drug as per the scheduled time on a regular basis
• In case you are allergic to any drug or cinacalcet, do inform your doctor regarding the same
• Talk to your doctor regarding all the prescription and non-prescription drugs you are taking
How does it help in the treatment?
It works via increasing the sensitivity of calcium-sensing receptors in the parathyroid hormone which indirectly activates the extracellular calcium. This down regulates parathyroid hormone levels and lowers down the calcium and phosphorous. 80% of this drug is excreted in urine and 15% in faecal matter.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The knowledge provided is meant to raise an understanding of knowledge regarding wellbeing and does not recommend medication or evaluation. Such material is not a substitution for clinical medical treatment and can not be taken as suggesting or advising that it is healthy, acceptable or efficient for you to take the medication. Consult a health care provider and specialist for psychological therapy and diagnosis.