Manufacturer: Biocon Pharma
Generic Name: Sirolimus
|Strength||Per Unit Price||Price|
|1mg (10 Tablet)||$8.70||$87.3|
|1mg (20 Tablet)||$7.90||$174 $158.25
you save $15.75
|1mg (30 Tablet)||$6.50||$261 $195.65
you save $65.35
|1mg (40 Tablet)||$6.20||$348 $248.3
you save $99.70
|1mg (50 Tablet)||$6.10||$435 $305
you save $130.00
|1mg (60 Tablet)||$5.82||$522 $349.2
you save $172.80
|1mg (100 Tablet)||$4.14||$870 $414.65
you save $455.35
It is a prescribed drug, also known as rapamune, is a macrolide compound which is used to mask coronary stents, check organ transplant rejection and to treat rare of the rarest lung condition. It belongs to a class of drugs known as immunosuppressant and is chiefly useful in preventing the rejection of kidney transplants. It is available in the market by the brand name Rapamune.
What ailments Sirolimus help treat?
• To prevent rejection of Kidney transplant
What are the side-effects?
• Loose Motions
• Elevated cholesterol levels
• Joint Pain
• Trembling of limbs
• Unusual fatigue
• Kidney problems
• Frothy urine
• Trouble urination
• Trouble sleeping
• Painful periods
• Hearing problems
• Chest pain
• Swelling Abdomen
• Swelling of limbs
• Memory loss
• Difficulty walking
Dosage of Medication
• This drug is meant to be taken either orally by mouth as a regular tablet or as an oral solution.
• The tablet form comes in the dosage of 0.5 mg, 1 mg and 2 mg. The oral solution is available with the strength of 1mg/ml
• It is advised to initiate with a concomitant dosage of cyclosporine and corticosteroids so as to monitor the body response of this drug.
• The dosage is based upon the severity of the medical condition. Try to target whole blood trough concentration of 16-24ng/ml for the first year followed by 12-20ng/ml after transplantation procedure.
• In case of Immunologic risk; if your body weight ≥ 40kg then advised loading dosage is 15mg PO and for <40kg 3mg/m2. Maintenance dosage is 5mg/day PO if >40 kg and if <40 then it is 1mg/m2 on the second day and obtains trough levels between day5-7.
• Intake your medication at the same time regularly to ensure maximum benefit out of it. The dose should be adjusted in such a way that trough concentrations remain maintained and in case of concomitant therapy, the dose should be altered before 7 to 14 days.
• This medication may not cure your disease but may help relieve symptoms
• For the treatment of LAM (lymphangioleiomyomatosis), 2mg / day PO for 10-20 days is the recommended dosage
• Do not overdose. Once the stable trough levels are achieved monitor the steady levels every 3 months.
• Avoid ingesting grapefruit and drinking grape juice as it may accelerate the side-effects of this medication; unless your doctor allows.
Warnings & Precautions
• Do not use in Liver and Lung transplantation since no well-established efficacy.
• Raised risk of Infection due to immunosuppression
• The drug is contraindicated if you are hypersensitive to Sirolimus or any other macrolide derivative.
• The drug is an absolute contraindication in case of concomitant live vaccine phase.
• There can be an increased risk of lymphoma, lymphedema, pleural effusion, activation of latent virus in the body.
• There are cases, which have reported fluid accumulation in the lungs and limbs resulting in oedema and effusion.
• Impaired wound healing episode.
• Restrict sun exposure due to the raised risk of Skin cancer
• Before ingesting Sirolimus, make sure you are allergic to it or not.
• It is advised to monitor the sufferer for hyperlipidaemia
• Since this drug has a side-effect of making you lull asleep, do not drive a vehicle or operate a machine once you have ingested this medicine.
• Avoid taking alcohol while you are on this drug regime as it acts an accelerator and reduces the effectiveness of its therapeutic effects.
• In case of pregnancy, ingest this drug only if needed; consult your doctor beforehand regarding this.
How does it help in the treatment?
Sirolimus is a macrolide derivative and an immunosuppressant which works via inhibiting T- cell activation and proliferation thereby weakening the immune system of the body. It also inhibits antibody production which occurs in response to antigenic and cytokine modulation. Primarily it inhibits T- cell proliferation by inhibiting headway further from G to S phase of the cell cycle.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The knowledge provided is meant to raise an understanding of knowledge regarding wellbeing and does not recommend medication or evaluation. Such material is not a substitution for clinical medical treatment and can not be taken as suggesting or advising that it is healthy, acceptable or efficient for you to take the medication. Consult a health care provider and specialist for psychological therapy and diagnosis.