Manufacturer: Torrent Pharma
Generic Name: Medroxyprogesterone Acetate
|Strength||Per Unit Price||Price|
|10mg (100 Tablet)||$0.60||$60|
|10mg (200 Tablet)||$0.55||$120 $110
you save $10.00
It is a prescribed drug, a hormone which is used as a method of birth control and also as a part of menopausal hormone therapy regimen. It belongs to a category of drugs called hormone of progestin type. It is also known as depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate. It is available in the market by the brand name Provera.
What ailments does Medroxyprogesterone Acetate help treat?
• Used as a part of combination hormone replacement therapy in females to reduce menopause symptoms
• To treat abnormal uterine bleeding
• Cancer of uterus
What are the side-effects?
Some of the common side effects include-
• Tenderness of breast
• Vaginal discharge
• Mood swings
• Sudden Weight gain/loss
• Vaginal bleeding
• Swelling of face and limbs
• Loss of memory
• Lumps in breast
• Dark patches of skin
• Yellowing of skin and eyes
• Clotting of blood
• Double vision
• Swelling of feet that is warm to touch
Dosage of Medication
• It is available in the form of a regular tablet usually prescribed to be taken one time a day orally during certain days of the monthly menstrual cycle.
• It is usually recommended to take as per the scheduled time
• The oral bioavailability of this drug is almost 100% which ensures its efficacy without any doubts
• Dosage of 2.5 or 5mg /day along with estradiol for two weeks is recommended. Once a stable state is achieved after 3 days of drug administration, peak levels are achieved after 1.5 to 2 hours of drug ingestion
• For the treatment of amenorrhea and abnormal uterine bleeding, the recommended dosage is meant to be taken once daily for 5-10 days when you’re second planned cycle is due.
• Withdrawal bleeding may occur within 3-7 days once the drug is discontinued
• It is advised to inform your treating doctor at every step regarding your treatment and recovery period
Warnings & Precautions
• Do not use this drug to detect pregnancy
• Since this drug is used in combination of estradiol, this may rarely result in fatal side effects such as stroke, blood clots in the lungs and legs
• Do not intake this drug more often than prescribed
• Do undergo physical examination while you are on this drug regime at regular interval
• Discuss your health with your treating doctor at every 3 to 6 months of follow up
• Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medication
• Do not smoke while you are on this drug regime as it may cause high blood pressure
• Do not take alcohol while you are already taking this medicine as it accelerates its adverse effects and slow down the therapeutic benefit
• Do inform your doctor regarding all the prescription and non-prescription drugs you are taking
• Give a detailed past medical history to your treating doctor
• Do not alter the drug dose without asking your doctor
• Restrict your sun exposure as this drug may cause patches on the skin
• Do not intake this drug if you are pregnant as it may harm the unborn
• Do not breast-feed while you are taking this drug as it passes into breast milk
How does it help in the treatment?
It inhibits the development of follicles and prevents ovulation as the primary function. On the other hand, it inhibits sperm penetration by modification in the cervical mucosal lining.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The knowledge provided is meant to raise an understanding of knowledge regarding wellbeing and does not recommend medication or evaluation. Such material is not a substitution for clinical medical treatment and can not be taken as suggesting or advising that it is healthy, acceptable or efficient for you to take the medication. Consult a health care provider and specialist for psychological therapy and diagnosis.