Manufacturer: Pfizer ltd
Generic Name: Gemfibrozil
|Strength||Per Unit Price||Price|
|300MG (30 PILLS)||$1.23||$37|
|300MG (60 PILLS)||$0.82||$74 $49
you save $25.00
|300MG (90 PILLS)||$0.69||$111 $62
you save $49.00
|300MG (120 PILLS)||$0.62||$148 $74
you save $74.00
|300MG (150 PILLS)||$0.58||$185 $87
you save $98.00
|300MG (180 PILLS)||$0.55||$221 $99
you save $122.00
|300MG (210 PILLS)||$0.53||$258 $112
you save $146.00
|300MG (240 PILLS)||$0.52||$295 $124
you save $171.00
|300MG (270 PILLS)||$0.51||$332 $137
you save $195.00
|300MG (300 PILLS)||$0.50||$369 $149
you save $220.00
THERAPEUTIC USES.: -
It is a prescribed drug and which is usually given to treat patients having high ‘bad’ cholesterol. It is given in conjunction with diet so as to elevate ‘good’ cholesterol level in the blood as well as to ameliorate lipid profile. It belongs to a class of drugs known as ‘Fibrates’. It is available in the market by the brand name Lopid.
What ailments Gemfibrozil help treat?
• To treat high’ bad’ cholesterol
• To lower down the ‘triglycerides’ levels in the lipid profile
What are the side-effects?
• Greasy stools
• may cause oily spotting on your undergarments
• Difficulty in controlling bowel movements
• Brown colour oil in the faeces
• Increased number of bowel
• Abdominal pain
• Excess Flatulence
• Gall stones
• Liver impairment
• Gas discharge
Dosage of Medication
• This drug is meant to be taken either orally by mouth two times a day before meals. It is available in the form of a tablet
• The tablet form comes in the dosage of 600mg
• The initial recommended dosage for patients having hypertriglyceridemia is 600 mg PO / 12 hourly. This medicine is meant to be ingested without meals in the morning and evening hours.
• This medicine acts as an adjunct therapy to diet restriction, physical activity and lifestyle and behavioural modifications.
• For full therapeutic benefit, divide the meals comprising of carbohydrates, fats and protein divided equally into three small meals.
• Close monitoring of serum lipoprotein is essential while you are on this drug regimen
• This drug therapy is supportive, may not fully cure your disease but shall aid in lowering down of symptoms.
Warnings & Precautions
• The drug is contraindicated if you are hypersensitive to Gemfibrozil or any of its derivatives.
• The drug is an absolutely contraindicated in conditions like renal impairment and hepatic dysfunction
• The drug is an absolute contraindication in the case of primary biliary cirrhosis
• The drug is an absolute contraindication in the case of pre-existing gallbladder deficit.
• If after 3 months, the therapeutic response is not favourable, discontinue the drug therapy after consulting your treating doctor
• This drug may augment the risk of malignancy; consult your doctor before administration of this drug
• It is advised to rule out all the secondary causes of deranged lipid profile before starting with this drug regimen
• Administer this drug with caution in patients already taking warfarin
• Use this drug with caution in pregnancy
• Store the drug at optimum conditions out of the reach of the children
How does it help in the treatment?
It decreases the amount of fat produced by the liver and inhibits peripheral lipolysis. Its protein binding capacity is 99%. 70% is excreted in urine and 6% in faeces. It is a potent lipid regulating the drug. It reaches peak plasma levels within 1 to 2 hours. However, its mechanism of action is unclear.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The knowledge provided is meant to raise an understanding of knowledge regarding wellbeing and does not recommend medication or evaluation. Such material is not a substitution for clinical medical treatment and can not be taken as suggesting or advising that it is healthy, acceptable or efficient for you to take the medication. Consult a health care provider and specialist for psychological therapy and diagnosis.